Prevent Identity Management Pitfalls with Proper Planning
Organizations are making significant investment in Identity and Access Management (IAM) solutions to better ensure business alignment with data and application access. Because IAM is such a significant investment in people, process, and technology effective planning is critical to its success. From a technology standpoint, one of the biggest barriers to completion for an IAM project is the current state of Active Directory and the data and application access environment.
Keys to Preparing for Identity and Access Management
- Map your environment - Understanding security group membership, which groups grant access to what resources (group grants), and how group relationships are nested both inside and between domains is critical to building organizational roles and identifying potential conflicts early.
- Reduce unneeded objects - Most organizations have a chaotic and messy Active Directory environment with a high percentage of stale users, groups, and other objects. Identifying and deleting these can significant reduce the amount of work needed to align roles with access groups and ensure proper identity management.
- Create resource-based groups - At their core, organizational identities are groups of small groups which provide access to different resources. By aligning data and application resources with resource-specific groups, building and maintaining identities becomes far more straightforward and easier to maintain.
- Identify resource owners - Identity and Access Management is a business-focused initiative, so identifying and aligning business owners with resources is critical to making sure that the processes for provisioning and attestation work properly.
Plan your IAM Rollout Effectively
StealthAUDIT for Active Directory is an auditing, compliance, and governance framework for Active Directory that provides comprehensive data collection, analysis, remediation workflows, and reporting. Using StealthAUDIT to help plan Identity Management rollout will ensure your IAM deployment is completed on time and with minimal disruption. Key features include:
- Stale and duplicate object reporting
- Group membership analysis
- Effective access enumeration
- Group grants analysis
- Probable owner reporting
- Automated object cleanup
- AD change auditing
- Owner provisioning and attestation
- Access change modeling