Storage Reclamation: Data Classification Best Practices
Did you know that over 60% of all stored data is inactive? With storage rates growing 50%-80% a year that can add up to a lot wasted money. It can also lead to inefficiencies because all data is not created equal. Information covered under regulations like the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires better security protection and faster retrieval than data that is not regulated or sensitive.
That’s why 53% of organizations have adopted a tiered storage strategy. It sounds easy enough but according to the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA), the hardest part of implementing tiered storage is classifying your data. You need to figure out:
- How many data classifications you need
- How frequently each will be accessed
- How long to keep the information in each
The STEALTHbits Solution
STEALTHbits can help by giving you the ability to create workflows that automate everything from initial data scanning and classification to data migration, archiving, and purging—all with the appropriate security at each storage tier. The results? Dramatically lower storage costs, improved data access, and optimization of key resources.
Reduce Costs and Risk
- Reduce storage costs — StealthAUDIT helps you lower storage costs by automatically moving stale resources to cheaper disks in compliance with policies around each class of data.
- Minimize data risk — StealthAUDIT helps you identify outdated sensitive or regulated information and safely remove it through cold archiving or deleting.